Over the past few weeks, we’ve had a couple of house fires which have caused significant damage to the properties and the tenant’s belongings.

Unfortunately some of these tenants did not have any home contents insurance, meaning they were left to pay to replace all of their personal possessions.

We strongly advise that you take out home contents insurance cover against damage whether through accident, fire, theft, vandalism, burst pipes or other household risks. Although we provide cover for the structure for the main fabric of your home we do not provide cover for your home contents. We also recommend that your contents insurance includes cover for damage to the following items:

  • glazing of windows and doors
  • accidental damage to items such as bath, toilet, wash basin
  • wood, wood-effect laminate or other sheet floor coverings. You should also seek to include the cost of relaying and making good.

With a special scheme called My Home arranged in conjunction with the National Housing Federation, Grand Union Housing Group tenants and residents can protect their belongings and gain peace of mind knowing if the unexpected happens they have cover.

View more details on the My Home Contents Insurance website.